Frequently Asked Questions

Who can get married in Australia?

You must:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Not be already married
  • Not be related
  • Both consenting and willing to enter marriage
  • Give a month’s notice via the Notice of Intention to Marry


Legal requirements, documents required & the official paperwork:

Notice of intention to marry needs to be completed at our first or second meeting

Please bring with you:

  • Birth certificates
  • Australia passports.
  • Divorce certificate with details of Decree Absolute needs to be provided if you have previously been married
  • All legal paperwork and registration will be completed for you by me


What are the legal requirements for marriage in Australia?

The Marriage Act 1961 requires that certain statements are included in your ceremony. I will explain this in more detail at our first meeting.


After the wedding:

All legal paperwork will be completed and lodged with the relevant government department.


What you need to do after the wedding:

After the marriage couples must obtain their own Registered Marriage Certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au.



I have public liability and professional indemnity insurance cover


Witnesses and who can act as one:

Two people, over the age of  eighteen are required to act as witnesses. The cans and can nots to include in a ceremony:

A Civil Marriage Celebrant has certain obligations under the Marriage Act 1961. I will explain these to you during our first meeting.


Can I plan your wedding as well?

No, I am not permitted to plan your wedding as well as officiate your marriage. It is one or the other. It is a conflict of interest under the Attorney General Departments guidelines.

The Notice of Intended Marriage must be executed and received by me at least one calendar month prior to your ceremony.


Do we have to attend any pre-marital courses?

When you come to see me, I will provide you with a Happily Ever... Before and After brochure. You will also be provided with information on pre-marital courses if you so wish to take them.